Love is in the air. Valentine’s Day is about two weeks away and that means romance, fancy dinners, jewelry, stuffed animals and, of course, chocolate. However, don’t go for that same old boring heart-shaped box of mass-produced chocolates. That’s boring. Instead, why not satisfy that chocolate craving by getting local and indulging your love of great craft beer?
Starting this coming Saturday, February 6th and running through Valentine’s Day on the 14th is The Beer Junction‘s 4th Annual Chocolate Beer Week. All week long, the taps at the Junction will be flowing with chocolaty beers of every variety. Most will be Stouts and Porters, since those styles lend themselves so well to the use of chocolate, but there will be other offerings as well.
Here is the opening tap lineup for February 6th from The Beer Junction:
1. Almanac – Horchata Almond Milk Stout
2. Boulder – Shake Chocolate Stout
3. Breakside – Bourbon Barrel Aged Aztec Imperial Stout
4. Dogfish Head – Higher Math – their 20th Anniversary Strong Golden Ale brewed with chocolate and sour cherry juice
5. Elevation – Senorita Horchata Imperial Porter
6. Evil Twin – Imperial Biscotti Break Imperial Stout
7. Fort George – Glazed and Confused (brewed with pralines & brown sugar)
8. Great Divide – Oak Aged Chocolate Yeti Imperial Stout 2013
9. Heathen – MegaMint Imperial Chocolate Milk Stout
10. Iron Fist – Ken Schmidt’s Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout
11. Midnight Sun – Modern Romance Chocolate Dark Ale
12. Omnipollo – Bourbon Barrel Aged Hypnopompa Imperial Stout (brewed with marshmallows and Tahitian vanilla beans)
13. Oskar Blues – Death By Coconut Porter
14. Perennial – Abraxas Imperial Stout
15. Perennial – 17 Chocolate Imperial Stout
16. Prairie – Bomb Imperial Stout
17. Southern Tier – Choklat Imperial Stout
18. Southern Tier – Choklat Oranj Imperial Stout
19. Southern Tier – Crème Brulee Imperial Milk Stout
20. Stone – Xocoveza Imperial Stout
21. Telegraph – Mexican Hot Chocolate Winter Ale
Yum! There’s a lot of chocolaty goodness on that list. I’ve had quite a few of these beers before and most should definitely take care of that chocolate craving. As each tap blows, The Beer Junction will have other chocolate beers waiting to go on. So be sure to visit more than once to see what other gems get added to the list. There are also a few special tappings set to take place on Thursday, February 11th, Saturday the 13th and Sunday the 14th – Valentine’s Day (check the event page on The Beer Junction’s website for details).
Also returning this year, The Beer Junction will be making Chocolate Beer Shakes. There will be a list of Junction employee-created shakes to choose from, or you can craft your own using ice cream from Husky Deli and using any of the chocolate beers on tap. Finally, as if all this wasn’t enough, there will also be sampler trays available with a free side of assorted chocolates.
So grab your sweetheart and come down to the The Beer Junction starting this Saturday. Why wait for Valentine’s Day to start celebrating your love (for each other – for chocolate – for whatever!)
Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.