Back in March of 2012, a brand new craft beer bar opened in Seattle’s Capitol Hill neighborhood, just off the corner of Pine and Melrose. Appearing almost immediately on several ‘best of’ lists, and keeping their patrons happy every day with a great craft beer selection, plus lots of great events, a full liquor bar and great food, they pulled no punches in showing everyone they had what it took to be, and stay, one of the best.
Here we are, two years later, and The Pine Box shows no signs of slowing down. Though it seems like they’ve been around much longer (I can recall thinking the same a year ago), The Pine Box is set to celebrate what will be only their second anniversary this Thursday, March 20th. The celebration begins when they open their doors at 3 PM, with what looks to be an excellent tap list.
In addition to releasing their 2nd anniversary beer: The 2nd Nail – a sour apple Berlinerweiss brewed by 10 Barrel Brewing Company out of Bend Oregon, The Pine Box will be reaching deep into their cellar to bring out some wonderful rarities to help celebrate the evening.
On Tap From The Pine Box Cellar:
- 10 Barrel Brewing 2 Nail Sour Apple Berlinerweiss 5.5% ABV
- Fremont Brewing 1st Nail Imperial Stout Batch 1 11.5% ABV
- Fremont Brewing 1st Nail Imperial Stout Batch 2 11.5% ABV
- Fremont Brewing 1st Nail Bourbon Barrel Aged Batch 1 11.5+% ABV
- Almanac Brandy Barrel Peche Wild Ale 7% ABV
- Avery Mephistopheles Imperial Stout 16.8% ABV
- Black Raven Grandfather Raven Russian Imperial Stout 9.5% ABV
- Deschutes The Abyss Barrel Aged Imperial Stout 11% ABV
- E9 Verre Violet Black Current Sour 7.6% ABV
- Firestone Walker 17th Anniversary Barrel Aged Strong Ale 13.3% ABV
- Logsdons Cerasus Flanders Style Sour Red Ale with Cherries 8% ABV
- Lost Abbey Cuvee de Tomme Oak Aged Sour Quad with Cherries 11% ABV
- New Belgium 2013 La Folie Flemish Sour Brown 6% ABV
Bottles of The 2nd Nail will also be available for purchase at the anniversary celebration (price not yet announced). It should be quite an evening. The Pine Box is experienced in hosting great craft beer events.
They’ve hosted a plethora of different events over the past few years, including such incredible event choices as:
- Firestone & Fran’s, Beer & Chocolate: A celebration of beer and chocolate pairings with beers from Firestone Walker Brewing Company and chocolates from Fran’s Chocolates right here in Seattle.
- Fuck You Cancer: One of a few different benefits The Pine Box has held for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Socitey in the name of their departed friend Chris Cavanaugh. During these benefits, 100% of the sales of certain drafts are donated.
- Capitol Hill Artwalk: A series of events The Pine Box hosts to feature artwork from local artists.
- Can You Handle My Randall (and other Randall events):
These events showcase the wonder that is the beer Randall. A device that allows you to infuse different flavors directly into beers as they’re tapped, by flowing them through Randalls filled with any number ingredients from fruits and spices to such unusual choices as candy, tea and even bacon. You read that right.
- The Pine Box Can Derby: First hosted during Seattle Beer Week 2012, The Pine Box keeps bringing them back and they’ve gotten pretty popular. A throwback to the Pine Box Derby days of our ‘Boy Scouts’ youth, Pine Box Can Derby events feature several heats of racing with racers made from beer cans.
They also regular host brewer’s nights, new beer releases and, of course, observance each year of ‘Bruce Lee Day’ to honor the place where his funeral was held back in 1973 when the space The Pine Box now occupies was the old Butterworth Funeral Home.
From The Pine Box: “It’s hard to believe that it’s already been 2 years, and it’s been a great two at that. We’ve literally poured hundreds of thousands of pints Two years in a row we’ve been placed in DRAFT Magazines top 100 beer bars in the nation. We’ve hosted Brewers from around the world in celebration of craft beer. Tonight we’re continuing that celebration with one kick ass party.” I’ll be there to help them celebrate; work the next day be damned! Will you be there?
Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.